Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving was ok. It was not as bad as I thought. I had a really bad cold however it felt as if Dajon was right here beside me. It helped to know that he was ok as well. I'm busy with school work and getting another blog together, sorry I did not intend to go this long without posting.

Dajon told me today he is very thankful for my support. He said he looks at all the dudes who come into the jail and do not realize they'll return. He says he has been in their shoes. He was given breaks and more than a second chance, but at the time he thought he knew what he was doing. He thought he was fulfilling a purpose, now he understands God had a different plan for his life. He has never made a promise to me because he knows I do not believe in people making promises they can not keep. But he has made a promise this time to himself, God, and his family that HE WILL NOT RETURN TO PRISON. Its tough but I have to let him fight this battle alone. I do not mean alone....I'm leaving.....I mean I'm no longer giving him advice. He has to teach himself what HE wants to make of the rest of his life. I will stand by him through thick and thin, but I feel that I spent the last 4 years fussing and stressing the importance of freedom.

When Dajon was home and I was waiting for election day, I remember telling him to get his life in order so he can one day stand in line with me to vote for the President! I remember us working on his resume and me teaching him computer skills. He never got the hang of using the computer but he can tell you quick "go online and see if you can find..........", so he knows that technology is where its at. I have asked him to take computer classes and any other higher education courses they have to offer once he is in the federal system.

We're not giving up. There are a lot of influential people in life that have spent time in jail or prison and come home a better person. Martha Stewart didn't let it stop her, she started teaching people some of the skills that made her rich and famous. Everyone has something to offer. Everyone has something they do not know. Dajon has children who will one day make him a grandfather and he needs to be able to share his experiences but with a happy ending. If mentoring is something he comes to do then we will welcome Gods plan.....he has yet to fulfill that plan.

Keep your head up. Being separated by bars should not be the end of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment