Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Keep your spirits up!

Hello all. I just wanted to take the time to remind my readers that we have so much in life to be thankful for. Although we are supporting a loved one who is in prison we still should not let that damper our spirits. I had a few down days recently and Dajon has been checking on me to lift my spirits. I had to laugh at myself later, because it was rather selfish of me to complain to a man who has lost his freedom. During our conversation he made me realize how lucky I am to be able to watch our son grow up daily, tuck him in bed every night and kiss/hug him whenever I want. I had to take a moment and apologize because he is correct. It was a lesson learned. I should also be thankful that my son and I still have his father in the flesh regardless of where he lives right now.



Thank God everyday for allowing us the chance to still be able to communicate with our loved one. Thank God for telephones, pen/paper, stamps, and visitation rights. If your loved one is in good spirits don't ruin that moment with your complaints. Don't make him/her feel worse than they may already be feeling but have some how asked God for forgiveness so that they are able to move through this new chapter in their lives. I spoke with a woman not long ago who has 2 children in prison and a grandchild in prison. She visits all 3 and she keeps them on the prayer list at church every Sunday. Not once during our conversation did she complain. She was very uplifting and I enjoyed my conversation with her. She told me some people let their own lives slip away trying to support a loved one in prison. She asked me what does Dajon expect of me during his time away. It didn't take me but a second to answer her. I said happily all he asks is that I continue to raise our son the best I can and when things get rough reach out to him and other family for help! She said to me, he is a good man. Those were my last thoughts of this woman and she doesn't even know him. I took her comment to mean that if he hasn't set his expectations too high, I shouldn't either and that would help me through my bad days.



Remember all things are possible through God and the day you give up on him is the day you have given up on everything else in life as well. Its okay to complain but if you talk to a person who has limited freedom inside and no outside freedom and they never complain , then maybe you have to reorganize your priorities. Life is too short to spend a lot of time thinking about the bad days, we all have them but we all need to learn to move past them.



Living with incarceration from the outside is no less painful than living with it from the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment